I was fortunate to be contacted by a rep for glenny’s . Truthfully, I had never heard of the company before, but I am always willing to try products and write about it on my blog.
glenny’s started back in 1979, and this is their pitch…”glenny’s low-fat, low-calorie, and high-fiber snacks are the perfect choice for any diet. They are specially formulated to provide you with energy and nutrition you need between meals. Simply put, our nutritious and delicious snacks will keep you satisfied, so you can eat less between meals, and stick to your diet plan! We offer a variety of snacks each with your enjoyment and nutrition needs in mind.”
One thing I know is that any time I’m ‘dieting’ or trying a new eating strategy, it’s nice to have snacky foods to munch on from time to time.
I received a big box of glenny’s snacks, and everyone in my family was ready to dive right in. Before we opened the snacks, I had my daughter create a spread sheet of sorts, so that any time someone took a taste of one of the snacks, their opinion had to be recorded. Not entirely scientific, but this plan worked for us. Even when my kids had friends over, they wouldn’t let them try a glenny’s unless they promised of an honest critique.
I will start with the Stars of the Show:
- The two best were Soy Crisp Barbeque and Soy Crisp Ranch. The adults loved the barbeque, and the kids wanted to make sure they got the ranch packed in their lunches, which in our house is a big deal.
- Next on the super yummy list was the Soy Chips Aged Yellow Cheddar. It received high marks and “delicious” from kids and adults. They were packed with cheddar flavor.
- The brownies were amazing. They tasted EXACTLY like a moist, chocolaty brownie. How is this only 100 calories? Best of all, it was a good size brownie. Not just a bite.
- My kids LOVE rice crispy treats, so when I gave them the glenny’s version, I was apprehensive. They are kind of Rice Cereal Treat aficionados. Glenny’s passed with flying colors. The texture wasn’t as dense, and it seemed a little sweeter, but all and all it was a great substitute.
- Another one of my favorites was the Whole Fruit and Nut Bars. If you like dried fruit, you will love this bar. It’s a dried fruit palooza packed with flavor. I wish the bar was slightly bigger, though.
Now for the Runner ups:
- The Easy Peasy barbeque had a much milder bbq flavor than the Soy Crisp, so this may be a good alternative for those who don’t like that ‘in your face’ barbeque flavor. One comment my husband had was that the chip should at least be a barbeque color.
- The Easy Peasy Parmesan and Olive Oil was a good cracker, but the flavor was a little too mild for most of us.
And the not so great flavors:
- Any of the Sea Salt versions were just plain blah. Not bad, but no taste to speak of.
- The Easy Peasy Chili Lime was kind of weird. The lime flavor hit first but tasted more like lime soap. This part was not good. But then the chili flavor hit with a POW of heat. This part was good, but very spicy.
- The Quinoa and Kale options were all graded bland at best.
So, there you have it. The thing I really like about glenny’s is that there is something for everyone and every taste bud. In addition, my family does not have any restrictions when it comes to diet. But for those families that do need to carefully select ingredients, glenny’s offers a wide range of “XXX Free” foods.